Monday, April 16, 2012

Questions about family trip to Bagan? Transportation

Is 2 nights going to be OK in Bagan? I am trying to fly in Sep. 12 and fly back to Bangkok on Sept. 15th. I really want to see Bagan, but can only spare a few days from our already packed itenerary in Thailand/Cambodia.





I guess with the airlilne schedules, I am bound to spend at least 1 night in Yangon? Is this true?





I am also curious which airline you recommend for domestic travel. I have read on some of the consular pages to avoid Myanmar Airways.





We will be traveling with our twins who will turn 6 years old right before our trip.





Any information would be greatly appreciated.





Thanks, Heather





Questions about family trip to Bagan? Transportation


Guess it%26#39;s up to you just how much a day or two is worth... I%26#39;d suggest that you put a higher priority on Myanmar....make it at least a week... or go there when you have more time.





Do take into account that Myanmar time is very different to anywhere else.. the pulse is slow and steady.. but you can%26#39;t drive things... it will drive you.



You need to plan more.. changing money takes time.. it鈥檚 not really a weekend picnic.... but worth it....





The airlines worth using are: Yangon air, Bagan air and Mandalay air. All 3 are good and fly the same routes for the same ticket-price.



The Bagan airport is very close to the archaeological site..





You probably could, I%26#39;m not sure, connect straight to Bagan.. or perhaps connect Bagan Yangon Bangkok on your way out....



But you must spend a day.. or at least a half day at the ShweDagon in Yangon.... It%26#39;s truly inspiring...



Questions about family trip to Bagan? Transportation


You will certainly be rushing around!



You will spend half the day getting to Bagan from Yangon, settling yourselves (being with the two 6-year olds) down, having something to eat and drink before setting off to see the site. Another half day will be spent, reversing the whole thing provided you get the last flight out back to Yangon (which everybody wants, and is likely to be full, unless you arrang it well ahead- and of course not all flights have these late departures). The most you are likely to get with this scenario is one and a half day seeing Bagan! If that all you want, yes you can do it; but you will need a well planned itinerary. you wouldn%26#39;t see much either. You will certainly need a car. I normally spend at least 4 nights and I get my travel agent in Yangon to arrange a car for me. From being collected at the airport till the last moment I am dropped off again; and that is travelling with an adult friend/partner. I have done it twice, and on both occasions the persons who%26#39;d taken me around had been a valuable company.



Yes, I will not accept Myanmar Airways. I am prepared to pay a little bit more to fly with Air Mandalay, Air bagan or Yangon Air. Air Bagan is the newest of the lot.



I imagine you will have to spend 2 nights in Yangon, one at each end of your trip at least; unless you can arrange your itinerary so that either you arrive and cross over to the domestic terminal to continue to Bagan or the other way around. If youve never been to Yangon Airport, it can be a little bit inconvenient to say the least with two 6 year olds. As Mosegrisen pointed out, how and where are you going to change your money? I have never changed money in Bagan. Remember, there aren%26#39;t any Bureau de Change in Myanmar! Perhaps the Lonely Planet Guide might be able to help you here.



My general advice: you can go to Thailand easily any time leisurely and it is well geared for /to tourists with all the conveniences. If you really want to see Bagan and the Shwedagon Pagoda (Yangon) forget Thailand this time.




Forgot to mention that Bagan air is likely to get a flight directly into Bagan up and running later this year. Presumably from Bangkok.





Along the lines of the Mandalay to Chiang Mai that Air Mandaly runs once a week.





Right now the Bagan Air web site is ';down'; so i can%26#39;t check for you, from memory it was planned for around September or October.. presumably before the tourist high season.





Most flights in Myanmar are not direct. Often they will do a triangle route. Like Yangon to Inle to Mandalay or Bagan and then return to Yangon.. making any transport.. even flights.. very time consuming.





As advised above.. if you do go to Bagan.. arrange a good guide... so that you, even with little time, make the most of it.




Still can%26#39;t get on to the Air Bagan site, but this is what ';wikipedia'; says:





The airline was established in June 2004 and started operations on 15 November 2004. It is owned by Myanmar Airways and Htoo Trading. Air Bagan operates services to several domestic scheduled destinations, including Heho, Mandalay, Bagan and Yangon.





In June 2006, it received permission to fly to China and Bangkok, Thailand. In October 2006 the company announced that it would commence flights to Siem Reap, Cambodia.





Air Bagan had add two A310-200 to launch international flights to Bangkok, Singapore, Osaka, Seoul, Chennai and Kumming this year (2007).





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Bagan




Hi . Thank you for your wealth of information. I know I will be rushed, but I have Bagan on my mind. I am already on a rather tight schedule, so I only have 4 days to spare. I am trading it with Chaing Mai. It really would help me out if I was able to get either a flight directly from BKK to Bagan or if there was a Bagan to Siem Reap. I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed. Even tough this will be tough making hotel reservations.





Luckily the children have some experience traveling into very small airports in and around Africa from our last overseas trip. Although I am still looking for pictures on the web of what the city of Bagan itself looks like. I have only seen pictures of the gemples and hotels. I have not been to Siem Reap yet, but that is what I am imagining.





Last night I have been looking at the Bagan air sight. I was thinking about flying in on Bangkok Air 12:00 -12:4 staying the night in Yangon and then early the next morning (6:00 a.m.) their are two direct flights up to Bagan. On the way home, there is a 8:25 a.m. direct flight that would match us up with our return trip to BKK at 13:45. I am currently planning on the Savoy in Yangon and the Aureum Palace in Bagaon. Do you have any experience with either of these hotels?





Thanks, Heather




we checked out the Savoy.. it%26#39;s a very good location... not far from the ShweDagon... and right on the main road between the city and the airport. The furniture is all antiques.. beautiful.



I was thinking that some of the rooms might be a little noicy... The suites would be my pick....



Traders may be your safest bet if noice bothers you. Very modern.. or should I say western... They have good prices on their website.. Or you can book on asiarooms or hoteltravel.



Bon%26#39;t know the hotel you mention in Bagan.. sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment