Wednesday, April 18, 2012

ethical costs

how much of what I spend in burma would get to the government?

I would want to travel off the beaten track,but don%26#39;t wish to support oppression

So can I get an idea of where my money actually goes?

ethical costs

Impossible question to answer. Clearly, some of whatever you spend will end up in government coffers, although you can limit that amount by staying in independent lodging establishments and using independent guides. If you go through a travel agent in Burma, even an independently owned travel agent, more of your money will end up in government coffers.

After all that, a nice chunk of your money will also end up in the hands of people who can really use it and WILL use it. Tourist money accounts for SUCH a small percentage of government revenues that it is almost laughable that people go to such extremes to villify people who travel there. The notion that by traveling to Burma that you are ';supporting oppression'; is absurd. Just go to Burma and ask ANYONE whom you encounter. I have traveled there on many occasions and NEVER had anyone tell me that a tourist boycott was a good thing.

ethical costs

thnx for your encouragement


Alric-

No problem. The country is AMAZING. Quite inexpensive, stunningly beautiful, with the warmest, most open people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. Burma is the SE Asia of times past with JUST ENOUGH conveniences to keep you comfortable.


Hi! Alric

As long as you ';jetter l%26#39;argent dan la fanette'; don%26#39;t trow our money from the windows!

It%26#39;s all your own responsibility..

Victor

the man who can run a good tour into a fantastic, life-changing experience, get you closer to the people in Myanmr.


Hello

Like you, I had wondered whether ethical considerations should stop me from visiting. I am planning a trip to SE Asia in June/July of 2007 and after reading Tripadvisor and researching on the internet, I developed a keen desire to see Bagan and Lake Inle for myself.

HOWEVER, just yesterday I came across this site

www.burmacampaign.org.uk/action_holiday.html

which details the human rights abuses that have occurred to create the tourist inftrastructure I would be enjoying if I chose to go. After reading it, it convinced me that I should not go. Just my personal perspective, but I think the arguments to boycott are very compelling.


.... how do you respond to the marketing of human organs from China?....

Take away kidney... or a lung... or a heart....

What a lot of BS.... Where can you go if you can%26#39;t step on someone’s grave...

Germany.... oh no.. to much taboo there...

The bad old US of A.. you must be kidding/... the slavery.... the Vietnam reticulatum...

South America..... Africa... India... The Middle East.. Australia.... is there anywhere with out abuse of human rights....

NO%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;%26gt; Well, get off your high horse... off your soap box.. and do something..

stop preaching..... don’t be a Christian.... be real.... be honest ... at leat to yourself... for I don’t care....... that’s your line isn’t it?


I think I agree with mosegrisen there


Chaucer-

The arguments on both sides are very compelling. Bottom line: You cannot undo the wrongs of the government. But you can help individuals out IF you spend your money carefully.


I just heard on Radio 4 on a aspect of aftermath of the Tsunami in SEA 2 years ago. They were talking about Thailand. Where the Tsunami had flattened the villages; because the villigers had been living on ';public land'; the developers had been able to come in now with bull-dozers to clear the land, claim it (with official consent , obtained somehow) and build hotels for the tourists. What about the villagers who had been there for generations? These displaced villagers then have to come back and beg for work at pittance at these building siteswith no health and safety rules let alone protection.


strangely there%26#39;s the film of the tsunami on telly now

  • gray hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment