Wednesday, April 18, 2012

what to do if sick?

My sis and I are traveling with just local guides for 12 days in Jan. . Now I%26#39;m worried about all the illness we could pick up, and how medical help pretty much doesn%26#39;t exist. Anyone w experience or advice on what to do if you get sick in Myanmar? thanks.





what to do if sick?


Precautions: You should be vaccinated, at least, against: tetanus, polio, hepatitis A and preferably hepatitis B, and typhoid. Consider malaria prophylaxis also. You could pick up any illnesses anywhere in the world. Common sense should dictate what you do. (But you don%26#39;t need to go overboard!) Like not eating cold food on the road-side. (I stick to food I see prepared boiling hot). Avoid fresh salads (tempting they may be. My friend had some salad at a 5 star hotel in Thailand en-route to the south, and ended up rushing back to Bangkok with the runs!! - So it%26#39;s not just Burma!!). I politely decline food offered cold; the Burmese are not offended when you say you like your food hot. they are only too happy to oblige.



Where are you going to while in Burma? Generally in big cities like Rangoon %26amp;amp; Mandalay you should be able to get proper and adequate medical help. If your local guides are experienced and recommended to you, they would be able to arrange most appropriate help. In both Mandalay and Rangoon there are designated hospitals (government run) for the tourists. Health resources do exist; your guides should know. I wouldn%26#39;t turn down the designated hospital just because it is government run. It is actually staffed by doctors trained abroad or at least speak good English. (this is speaking from experience)



I always carry my first aid pack.



what to do if sick?


Hi, Khayeethe,



Thanks for the reassuring info! I%26#39;m sorry you ended up in the hospital--Mandalay or Rangoon?--but good to know you survived.:)



We%26#39;re going to the major stops--Rangoon, Bagan, Mandalay, Kalow, Inke Lake and back to Rangoon (12 days) then to Angkor Wat. I didn%26#39;t think polio was still being reported in SE Asia. Will follow up on the shots. Were there lots of mosquitos in Bagan? We will be at the full moon new years celebration there and thus out at dusk when mosquitos frequently bite. (I had an allergic reaction to larium in Africa and had to stop taking it.)



Our normal trip is more like our last one, a river cruise in Europe, so this is quite adventurous to us! Thanks for your support.



Senioradventurer




hi,





Dont worry. There aren%26#39;t that much mosquito in Bagan at the time of the year. I am also allergic too and as part of my job I have to go there at least twice a month so I used mosquito repellent cream just to be on the safe side.



If you have time, take a balloon ride in Bagan. It will take only 45 mins or one hour but the sceneries are breathtaking. Best of luck on your trip.





Jules




Thanks! I think we will try ballooning, although it is definitely expensive. But what a once in a lifetime experience.. So you feel safe with mosquito repellent only it sounds like. That may be the way I have to go.


  • makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment