Thursday, March 29, 2012

Flea markets, bazaars or flower maket in Yangon or Mandalay

Hi everyone,



I hope this is not too silly a question to ask but I was wondering if there are flea/sunday markets, bazaars in Yangon or Mandalay?





Also, is there an area in these cities where there are vendors/shops selling plants and flowers native to Myanmar? Reason I asked is I need to get some photos of these related themes, especially for the flower/orchid markets.





Flea markets, bazaars or flower maket in Yangon or Mandalay


Main market in Yangon is ';scott'; market.. all new things... some intersting stuff.. but mainly cheap trinkets.. In Mandalay don%26#39;t bother with the night market.. very disapointing..



As for flowers.. I don%26#39;t remember seeing a flower market.. but I guess there must be one somewhere. Few people would probably have the spare money to buy flowers.. seems to me that food and veges are what people need and buy.



Flea markets, bazaars or flower maket in Yangon or Mandalay


Thanks for your reply. I%26#39;d read in some books that the Burmese people being staunch buddhist devotees, would present offerings of flowers to the Buddha during worship. I was wondering perhaps there would be a congregation of shops that sell flowers for this purpose.





Orchids in Myanmar are very beautiful. The reason for asking is to be able to capture pictures of some interesting species which are not commonly found. Hoping to try my luck with the flower markets if there are any.




Yes, correct... you do see the local people bring flowers to the temples.... compared to Singapore.. I did not think the flower displays were noteworthy.. but you might.




You%26#39;ll find flower market in Pyin Oo Lwin, small town not far from Mandalay (about 2-3 hours by car).

No comments:

Post a Comment