Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Myanmar Air- Is it the gov't run alirline?

Thai air out of BKK has a coopertive flight using Myanmar Air. Does anyone know if this is the government run airline of Myanmar? GOD HELP ME if it is ... :)





Oh and FYI, you absolutely need a paper ticket to get out of Burma using Thai air .. I contacted Thai Air in BKK ( after the NYC agent told me we should not book electronically....they wrote that they do not have the internet facilities in RGN to process an electronic ticket .. I found this out by accident but it IS true ..





Probably it%26#39;s a Thai air thing and once I would have gotten into Myanmar, the agents would have ticketed it for me to get out.. ? I truly don%26#39;t know ..





Just wanted to post the updated info though for someone else AND to inquire as to whether or not Myanmar Air is the gov%26#39;t run ariline.





Myanmar Air- Is it the gov't run alirline?


The answer to you main question is: yes Myanmar air is the only government airline. Add to this though... you perhaps need to distingwish between the Myanmar air and Myanmar air International. The internal airline mainly use very old and probably not very well maintained airplanes and equipment. Where the International sector is run differently. We also need to know that all airlines in Myanmar are operated with the Government as ';part owners'; or share holders.



With regard to paper ticket... must be a Thai air issue.. We bought e-tickets on-line with airasia and I%26#39;m frankly very surpriced to read that Thai air don%26#39;t have computers at their check in counters in Yangon.. sounds like a suburban myth to me:-)



…wikipedia.org/wiki/Myanmar_Airways_Internat…



Myanmar Air- Is it the gov't run alirline?




Hi mosegrisen,





It is the international flight from BKK to RGN..... I don%26#39;t really have a choice since I am flying in, using thai air from JFK..... I dont%26#39; think I can make the one hour connector flight .... ( previous posting) so I am taking their last flight out, two and half hours after I land. I just looked and realized that although it is listed as a thai air flgiht, It is operated by Myanmar Airlines ..... is this bad since I read their airline hasa terrible safety record.





Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG4545



Aircraft: MC Donnell Douglas MD-82



Operated by Myanmar Airways Intl





Within Myanmar I know to use the three airlines. When I read lonely planet they have the gov;t airline listed as Myanma ( omitting the R)





My JFK flight doesn%26#39;t get in until 4:45 .... the only flight I can find that works for me is this Myanmar air/Thai air scenario.





Air Asia and Asia Air dont%26#39; have flights going when i want to go ..... I want to get in and out of BKK as quickly as possible.





And, these are the emails that I received from THAI AIr regarding the paper ticket scenario ....





One reply from Thai air:





We regret to inform you that we cannot check or prove booking or tiket due to we do not have any authorize and difference system,for your query please contact with our TG



ticketin office once again or may you can contact with our TG ticketing office in Los Angeles





Since I really didnt%26#39; understant that response, I inquired at a different division of Thai air and got this response



Dear Ms. Elizabeth,





Kindly be informed that the flight from Burma is not eligible for e-ticket purchasing as only paper ticket is accepted at the airport check-in process. The ticket of the flight must be collected and the payment made at THAI ticketing office in the country where the journey commences within 72 hours of reservation making only.





For passenger who could not have the ticket issued accordingly to the IMPORTANT RULES and conditions of web booking, kindly be advised to contact local travel agent for further reservation and ticketing for the planned trip.





Truely regret for the inconvenience caused. Meanwhile, we are sending you our best wishes.








The Myanmar International airline (check the wikipedia link) is fine... not all that different in company structure the the 3 internal airlines (Yangon, Bagan and Mandalay air).... while there%26#39;s a very strong link to Myanmar airways.. I would feel happy about flying with them, but not with the Myanma airways internal flights.



I%26#39;ll try and figure out why Thai insist on paper tickets.


  • gloss
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment