Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thai Air

I am going to Myanmar in Feb ....... I will be taking Thai Air as it%26#39;s a direct flight from NYC to BKK ...... and then, there is a ';close call'; connecting flight from BKK to Yangon .......the flight from NYC arrives in BKK at 4:45 PM ...... and my Yangon flight leaves at 6 PM ..





Believe it or not, it%26#39;s cheaper by 160 USD PP if i book JFK-BKK and then BKK to Yangon ........ under a separate ticket .....



I am going in February .........





But, one of the Trip Advisor contribultors commented on such a ';close call'; getting into Yangon ..... I started to think about it. If there is a snowstorm, and the NYC flgiht is delayed, and I have TWO SEPARATE tickets ....... I might miss the earlier connecting flight to Yangon ......... there is a later connecting flight to Yangon but the rep from Thai Air told me that they ( Thai Air) is under no obligation to honor anything ..... maybe if I have the direct ticket at $160 PP more..... they will honor it?





Does anyone have any experince with this?





Also, if I book two separate tickets, FROM THE SAME AIRLINE, do I have to get my bags off in BKK and then go back though ';some line'; to get onto my Yangon flight?



Thanks



Bette



Thai Air


Hi,



The scenario you described actually happened to me, although perhaps slghtly differently.





I was travelling to Yangon one early January. I had 3 sets of tickets, the first from Leeds, UK to London with BMI which is a Star Alliance Partner with Thai International. (The other two being the flight from London to Bangkok and then the third from Bangkok to Yangon) It is an internal flight in UK. My flight from Leeds was to leave at 06:55 hrs. in themorning arriving in London at 07:50 hrs. The flight from London to Bangkok was leaving at 09:50 hrs. On the day of the flight, there was fog at Leeds and 5 minutes to take off, the flight was cancelled! All the passengers with connecting flights were transported to London by coach which is a 5 hour trip. (Some took the chance to rush over to Manchester - a 2 hour trip by taxis). I was on the coach with the guarantee of a nights stay at the airport hotel in London and a connecting flight the next day. When we got to London, I just thought I%26#39;d try the Thai check in desk which had actually closed about 3 hours ago; but there were skeleton staff at the desks. I went up and spoke nicely about any chance of flying that day instead of the next.. Just my luck, my flight had actually been delayed due to the fog as well, so they contacted whoever and I was allowed through - late but still on the flight!





The next was actually in Thailand! we (I was travelling with 3 other friends) all read our tickets wrong! We were 15 hours late!!! We did rush to the nearest Thai Airways office as soon as we realised our error (luckily, one of us was suspicious of the extra day we shouldn%26#39;t have!!!). With profuse apologies explaining our error (we never denied our error or blamed Thai for the confusion) we were put on the next flight with no penalties!!!





If we ask about their rules, the airlines wil have to state their rules; but if we just go to the desk (taking a risjk though) and calmly explain what has happened, the check in staff have some discretion where it may be possible, I think.





However, I hope I wouldn%26#39;t have to chance it again. (We did got away very very lightly - and I would recommend Thai anytime)





Khayeethe



Thai Air


I agree with Khayeethe that Thai airways are tops when it comes to service and in getting people where they need to go. Actually I don’t think it will make much difference if you buy the journey as one or as two tickets.. As Khayeethe, I think they will do their best to get you on “the next available flight” no matter wht.



As for the transfer of baggage in Bangkok airport and not having to go through immigrationand enter Thailand .... My guess is that no matter if you have one or two tickets.. they will “book you through” at JFK when you check in for your BKK bound flight. However it is an important question... if you have to re-check in rather then just transfer.. you chances are even slimmer...



The crux of the matter really is if you experience a delay and miss your Yangon flight... I’m pretty sure they would honour your tickets no matter what.. The difference lies in that if you buy one ticket.. they will have to ';accommodate you”... if you miss your flight.. Feed you and put you up in a hotel until the can “ship” you out. If, on separate tickets... you are on your own....



How about looking at alternatives?



Would it be worth your while spending a day or two in Bangkok?.. Resting up and doing some sightseeing?.. I can’t remember how little time you have in Myanmar.. From memory it’s short and you probably don’t want to do this.... so the next option is to look at different connections between Bangkok and Yangon.... such as “airasia” “airbagan” “bangkok air”... good luck.




If you are looking at alternative options... and unless you have a specific reason for using Thai and you don%26#39;t really care about Bangkok at a connection point... I haven%26#39;t looked into it.. but you may also want to look at which airlines actually connect between JFK and Yangon.... Pretty sure Korean air does... not sure about Japan air.. Singapore airlines use Silk between Singapore and Yangon. Cathay pacific might, Not sure about Eva air.... Don%26#39;t know about the Malaysian air connection between JFK and KUL.... but they do fly into Yangon.



Don%26#39;t wish to make it harder for you and confuse you... and i do think the non-stop flight between JFK and BKK sounds terrific.




I took your Thai non-stop flight JFK/BKK last winter en route to Luang Prabang only stayed overnight at the airport hotel and caught an early AM Lao flight. Keep in mind the new Bangkok airport is enormous, one of the largest shopping malls I%26#39;ve seen, and the feeder lines to places like Luang Prabang and Yangon (where I went a week later) are at the far fingers of the concourse well removed from the international gates even if you are traveling on the same airline. Also, February is a popular month for travel to these countries so do not count on avalable seats on a later flight if you miss your connection.




As the previous posts say , Thai will book your luggage straight through to Yangon . Also Thai have a code share flight with Myanmar International which leaves Bangkok later than your 18.00 hrs connection so Thai would put you on that if your inward flight is delayed.



I would confirm that Thai Int. are one of the best customer focused airlines and I would never dream of flying to Thailand with anyone but them - they have helped me out of a big problem , with efficiency and courtesy, on more than one occasion.




WOW.. after reading Khayeethe%26#39;s harrowing experience ..... I would die if that were me!





It only has to happen to you once .... and you never forget!





I have had my share of unpleasant vacation mishaps in Asia ....





I have flown Thai Air before and liked it ALOT ..... I would prefer to fly with them again and upgrade to premium economy.





BKK is an enormous airport ( haven%26#39;t been in 2 years) and I am not sure I want to worry about catching that slim connecting flight. They have a later one ( 2 1/2 hrs later) .... and while I don%26#39;t want to hang out at the airport after a 17 hr flight .... I think that this is the smarter move ....





I spoke to Thai Air and asked them about the ';what if'; scenario. The lady said that if I missed that connection, they are under no obligation to get me on the next flight out OR to put me up in the hotel overnight.





As usual, thanks for sharing your thoughts .... it helps me ';see things'; better ......



Regards



Bette




You mention that its been two years since you were at the Bangkok airport and that it is big....



Well, in the meantime they opened a new one.. (BKK.)... (the old one (Don Muang or DMK).. being used for some domestic flights).



The new bangkok airport (Suvarnabhumi) is also large.. can take 20 minutes or more to get from one end to the other.. It has both international and internal flight from the same terminal building. Separated by floors rather that separate terminals as in the old one.... Its about 500 meters long with 4 ';arms'; for the airbridges so its quite a walk if you have to criss cross the building.




I knew they were going to open a new Airport ........ but now it%26#39;s separated by FLOORS...... I will definately go on the later flight to RGN......





I can%26#39;t believe what i did before..... I booked two tickets Premium Economy COMING BACK ON THE WRONG DAY ..... I clicked the botton for my AMEX to pay and then I froze when I saw what appeared on the screen ......... because I didn%26#39;t want to come back on Feb 29..... I was leaving RGN on the 29th..... ( silent scream)





Thai isn%26#39;t opened on weekends .... and will probably be closed tommorrow due to the Labor Day holiday ..... I wonder if they will just adjust the date for me or do you think I will get hit with a fine?





I am sitting here ';beating myself up'; over such a stupid mistake ...... I was getting confused with leaving RGN 3/29 and coming out of BKK in the wee hours on 3/1........ :(((





Here I was trying to save money by booking two tickets and I probably cost myself a substantial fine.




I wouldn%26#39;t DARE have a close connection at the new BKK airport. It is huge and the gates for small planes to places like Yangon and Luang Prabang are the farthest. Now in my ninth decade I have resorted to wheelchairs at airports but even with this service it was a long haul last January when I had 3 connections there. That said, for those who shop it is a great mall for luxury goods!

No comments:

Post a Comment